Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Healthy Red Meat

My farm story is something I was really excited about and was very happy I had the opportunity to do it. The farm I chose was Pohl Bison in Clare, MI. I remember I was on an assignment for CM-Life over the summer and drove by the farm and saw a bunch of bison which was so unusual and knew right then that's what I wanted to do my story on.
FS1
Jim Pohl co-owner of Pohl’s Bison, 7308 N. Whiteville in Clare,walks past his garage with the skulls of Bison hanging above him. Jim and his wife Krista hope to one day retire on the Bison farm.
FS3
Krista Pohl co-owner of Pohl’s Bison, 7308 N. Whiteville in Clare, drives in her cart to go feed the Bison hey cubes. "There not farm cows, there still a wild animal" Pohl said.
Jim and Krista Pohl are the owners of the farm and were very nice people and I was very happy they were willing to let me tell their story. I was very excited in my first day because its the first time I was able to see a bison up close and personal.
FS4
Krista Pohl of co-owner of Pohl's Bison, 7308 N. Whiteville in Clare, sits in her cart watching the Bison. Pohl say's bison meat is healthier than other red meats, containing less fat and cholesterol.
When I first got out there and we stopped in the cart I jumped out immediately to take some photos which was a big no no. Mrs. Pohl told me to get back in quickly because the bison are very unpredictable. There not a nice farm cow, there still a wild animal. She told me her husband was actually chased out twice by the bison.
_MG_0890
A bison stands in the field of Pohl's Bison, 7308 N. Whiteville in Clare. Male bison are typically between 950 and 1250 pounds when they are ready for butchering, and can stand six feet tall. Pohl Bison sell's everything bison from hamburger patties, jerky, even the tongue.

_MG_0930
Jim Pohl co-owner of Pohl's Bison, 7308 N. Whiteville in Clare, brings a hose to fill up the water tanks for the bison to drink. The water tanks take about 20 minutes to fill up.
I was shown around in the shop and I couldn't believe all the different product that can come from a bison. Jerky, burgers, steak, even the tongue is sold. None of the bison is wasted the skulls are sold off as well after the long process of cleaning it up is complete. The Pohl's even enjoy the bison themselves.
_MG_1080
A bison skull hangs in the living room of Jim and Krista Pohl. The hole in the skull is where the bison was shot in order to processed for meat. When there meat supply begins to run low the Pohl's put down a bison in order to restock their supply.

FS8
Krista Pohl co-owner of Pohl’s Bison, 7308 N. Whiteville in Clare, sits at the table after cleaning the kitchen, eating bison stew.
FS2
Jim and Krista Pohl of Pohl's Bison stand in their backyard and gaze at the bison heard in the distant. Krista and Jim Pohl own Pohl Bison, 7308 N. Whiteville in Clare. It's the second bison farm Jim and Krista have owned and they hope one day to retire on it.
It was definitely a good experience there and I'm glad I started off this class on what I think is a successful photo story and am looking forward to my future assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment